The mission of Parent Child Development Corporation is to empower families to improve the quality of their lives through educational and self-help programs, family support services, and advocacy activities in partnership with the community.
The vision of Parent Child Development Corporation (PCDC) is to be a leader in comprehensive preschool programs, child care services, and family support services in Virginia’s Middle Peninsula. PCDC will provide direct services, coordinate regional and inter-agency service delivery systems for children and families, and advocate for programs and services which promote the welfare of all children and families in the community, state and nation. PCDC will forge partnerships with communities and organizations to effectively and efficiently utilize human and financial resources, both public and private.
- To develop the potential of preschool children in order to enable them to succeed in public school and in life.
- To provide a safe and nurturing environment for children of parents who are working or in training.
- To educate and support parents and caretakers of young children in parenting and child care skills in order to lessen, and eventually eliminate, actual or potential child abuse and neglect.
- To provide on-site support and outreach services to support those in need.
- To partner with the public and private communities to strengthen systems and services which support all families.
History and Background
The Parent Child Development Corporation (PCDC) is a 501(c)(3), private, non-profit organization founded in 1971 by a group of local citizens committed to helping families improve their quality of life. They were concerned about the high degree of inter-generational illiteracy and social isolation of many children and families in Virginia’s Middle Peninsula. Their objective was to help break the cycle of poverty by providing a cadre of educational and self-help programs that strengthen the entire family. They believed, as we still do, that it takes the whole community working together to ensure that all children and families have the opportunity for a healthy and successful life.
The agency’s service area includes Charles City, King & Queen, King William, Mathews, Middlesex, New Kent and Gloucester counties, in addition to the Town of West Point. Services include preschool education, family literacy, family support workshops, child care, and community awareness activities. The corporate office is located at 602 Main Street in West Point, VA. PCDC is governed by a volunteer board of directors, who are supported by advisory committees, the Head Start Policy Council and parent committees. The agency is funded by public and private grants, service fees, cash and in-kind contributions, and fundraising efforts.